Welcome back to the new look Heronbrook Farm Kitchen! Same delicious recipes but a whole new video style - we hope you like it!
In this recipe we’ll show you, step-by-step, how to make these delicious little wholemeal rolls at home. As per usual with our bread recipes, you’ll be amazed at how four or five simple ingredients can be transformed with a little love and attention to something delicious and irresistible!
In terms of the video, we’ve tried to make it a bit shorter, a bit punchier and, with new lights and cameras, a bit more interesting to watch. Do let us know in the comments what you think!
350g Strong white flour
150g Wholemeal flour
10g Fresh yeast
10g Sea salt
15g Rapeseed oil
- Weigh the flours into the bowl of the stand mixer along with the salt. Briefly mix together the dry ingredients with a spoon.
- Crumble the yeast into the water and mix with a small whisk until dissolved. Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer on top of the flours.
- Mix on a slow speed with a dough hook until the mixture comes together. Then increase to a medium-fast speed for 7-minutes. Add the oil and continue to mix on a medium-fast speed for about 3-minutes or until the oil is absorbed.
- Turn the dough out, using a scraper if required, onto a lightly oiled surface and shape into a ball. Place the ball into a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise for about 2-hours by which time it should have doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten slightly before cutting into eight pieces of equal weight. Flatten each piece slightly and bring the edges into the middle to form a ball. Roll the balls once or twice on the table to get a nice rounded shape.
- Place the balls of dough on a baking tray, spacing them evenly and cover with a linen cloth. Leave them to prove for about 90-minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220℃ for at least 30mins before baking.
- Immediately before placing the rolls in the oven, remove the linen cloth and quickly slash the tops with a sharp knife or baker’s lamé.
- Put the tray of rolls in the oven and immediately spray water inside liberally with a spray bottle to create steam. Quickly shut the door and turn the oven down to 200℃. Set your timer for 14 minutes.
- Once the 14 mins have passed, take the rolls out of the oven and place them on a rack to cool. After an hour or so, you can break into them and enjoy!
Download the recipe as a PDF.