Almonds, raspberry jam and butter shortbread - perfect! The most popular treat at Heronbrook Farm, in this new video we’ll show you how to make our delicious Bakewell slice. Combining all-butter shortbread, raspberry jam with an Almond frangipane topping this one is a total crowd pleaser and we’re certain you’ll love it!
For the butter shortbread base
Plain flour 150g
Unsalted butter - cubed 150g
Caster sugar 75g
For the Frangipane topping
Ground almonds 200g
Caster sugar 200g
Unsalted butter 200g
Almond essence 1 tsp
Free-range eggs 4 med
A quantity of raspberry jam
Baking tray dimensions: 32cm (L) x 24cm (W) x 4cm (D)
Start with the shortbread base
- Prepare a baking tray by lightly greasing with butter and line with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180℃ (356℉).
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of the stand mixer and start mixing slowly with a standard K-beater. As the mixture comes together, slowly increase the speed. Eventually, the mixture will resemble breadcrumbs and just as these ‘crumbs’ start to clump together, turn off the machine.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tray and spread out. Press down with your fingers to form a single thin layer. The shortbread will form up like a pastry. You can use a small roller to flatten the fingermarks.
- Place the baking tray in the fridge to set up for 15mins and then place it in the centre of the preheated oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 165℃ (329℉) and bake for 15-minutes. Keep an eye on it for the last few minutes. You want to take it out of the oven as the edges are just turning golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and, keeping it in the baking tray, place on a cooling rack and allow to completely cool for 60-90-minutes.
- Once cooled, and just before you make the frangipane topping, spread a decent layer of raspberry jam over the top of the shortbread.
To make the frangipane topping
- Place the eggs in a jug and whisk to combine. Preheat the oven to 180℃ (356℉).
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of the stand mixer and cream together until light and fluffy. A silicone edged K-beater is best but even then you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the machine running at a medium-slow speed, add a small amount of egg followed by some ground almonds, and keep alternating a bit at a time until all the egg and ground almonds have been incorporated. Once that’s done, add the almond extract and mix it in.
- Using a spatula, scoop the frangipane on top of the jam and shortbread and level it to an even thickness. Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top of the frangipane.
- Place the Bakewell slice in the centre of the preheated oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 165℃ (329℉) and bake for 25-minutes.
- Take the Bakewell slice out of the oven and place on a cooling rack and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes before removing it from the baking tray. Then leave it on the cooling rack for a further 60-90 minutes until completely cool. You can then slice it into individual portions and serve. We’d be amazed if it lasts very long before it’s all been eaten. Enjoy!
Download the recipe as a PDF.